IRRIGATION & AGRICULTURE
Founded in 1994, HARITIKA, through its interventions has addressed the basic needs of some of the poorest people in Bundelkhand, U.P facing acute scarcity of water. Since past 20 years, Haritika has worked on 20 projects with the support of various international & national partners.
It has successfully constructed several water conservation structures such as roof top harvesting structures, check dams. All the drinking water projects are based on Integrated Water Resource Management Approach that results in both system & source sustainability.
Mission: Haritika strives to improve the standard of living of economically and socially deprived, make the people self-reliant through interventions on: [Natural Resources Management] [Water & Sanitation] [Health] [Livelihood opportunities]
Regions Impacted : [ 315 villages in U.P] [115 villages in M.P] [115 villages in Rajasthan]
Institutional : Sankalp | UNDP| UNICEF| Just A Drop| Water Aid| Gram Vikas
Corporate : Coca Cola Foundation | Rio Tinto | NABARD | NORAD
WATER & SANITATION
- Provided safe drinking water in more than 200 village. Plan to provide same in 215 more villages in M.P, India.
- Constructed piped water supply systems for 24 villages in U.P (Uttar Pradesh), India.
- Installed 177 hand pumps in 21 villages of U.P, India.
- Constructed 1000 individual twin pit pour flush toilet in 24 villages of U.P, India.
WATER RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Built 432 community dug well and 57 stop dams to recharge ground water aquifers, benefiting 7000 household and 35000 people.
- Integrated watershed development program completed for 3,000 hectares in U.P, India.
- Construction of roof top harvesting structures in 16 villages.
- Solar power plants in 7 villages of U.P, India in association with Ministry of New & Renewable Energy, Govt. Of India and Norway International Development Agency.
- Total of 3246 people from 407 households have been benefited.
- Installation of solar water supply in 3 villages impacting 272 households
Water Sustainability Project in Bundelkhand, India
Location : Bundelkhand district , Uttar Pradesh & Madhya Pradesh, India
Demographics : Total villages impacted-14, Total population benefited -12000.
Problem statement: Due to low annual rainfall and uncontrolled pumping of ground water from aquifers, the 14 targeted villages faced severe water shortage supply in Bundelkhand. Women & Children had to walk long distance to collect water. Also, open defecation was a major concern in these villages, posing several health risks to the villagers.
Solution: 10 dug wells, 32 check dams, 7 percolation tanks & 3 new ponds were constructed which created a storage capacity of 745 million litres. Piped water supply system were installed in all 14 villages. To overcome the open defecation problem 40 twin pit latrine cum bathroom were constructed .
Project Time line: 2010- 2013